Thursday 26 April 2012

Day 5 without Facebook

I haven't posted everyday since quitting Facebook as that would be really boring. But I wanted to catch up and say where I am on Day 5 (I did have to check it was day 5, I'm not mentally counting away the days since I last used the site).

On day 3, I did get a moment at work when I saw others checking out their Facebook pages and there was a slight feeling of being disconnected, so I did some work and the moment passed.

But yesterday, my sister told me it felt odd that there were traces of me on Facebook but I wasn't there. I'm guessing it's because they haven't deleted my account yet so stuff like comments are going to remain. I've no idea if they'll permanently go when my account is deleted or not. So, I felt a bit bad about not being around and  resolved to make sure that I still share important family stuff through Google+. Yes, it's not going to be as seamless an experience for them whilst they're not using the site, but maybe an email to them might feel more special than a new entry on my Facebook wall.

On the commute yesterday, I was reminded by how prevalent Facebook is. The different radio stations I was flicking between were all 'come and check out our Facebook page', or 'send us a tweet' blah blah. The national stations must be swamped with tweets and posts on Facebook. I know they want to feel like they're connecting with their audience but it's got to be a full time job sifting their way through all the chaff looking for the gem they want to read out. And doesn't it make like a bit too easy for the listeners? How much crafting is going into their messages to the radio stations? It used to be all about phone ins, and the occasional letter; then came email, and although that encouraged people to be a bit sloppier, at least the semblance to a letter made people take some effort. But now it's all about writing the pithiest comment in 140 chars, or 'Liking' someone else's comment. Bit of a shame that's all I'm saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment