Thursday 1 September 2011

running update

I am still running. Admittedly not as often as I was when I started the new habit. In April, I started off by running every day, and this continued until probably the middle of July when I started allowing myself a day off here and there. Right now, I'm getting out about four times a week. The biggest hurdle has been the darker mornings. I hate getting up in the dark as it is, and getting up to go outside when it all sounds a bit miserable out there - well on some mornings that's been just too much. However, I have been out in the dark and wet, and once I'm out there and running I can't say I really notice it. The aim has never been to get fit; I have no plans to take part in any races. The point of the running was to get me up in the morning and find that bit of 'me' time before the house wakes up.

Even if I choose not to go running, I don't lie in bed. I'll get up, grab a coffee, and sit down to do some writing. This new morning routine has been hugely impactful on my happiness. Every day, even if I get no time to do anything else that I might want, I know I've had that little bit of time in the morning to write. This makes it so much easier to commit to time spent with the family, playing with the kids, being present for them. And when it comes to the crunch, that's what I want to be. A dad who was present.

No comments:

Post a Comment