Friday 20 May 2011

simple running update

A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I was taking a different approach to running. This time it was going to be more about cultivating a running habit than building up to longer distances or faster times.

So three weeks on and how are things going? I’m pleased to report that I’ve been running every morning since I made the commitment. That means for the last three and a bit weeks, I’ve got up at shortly after 5am, to go for a run. I haven’t taken any music, or attempted to track any of my runs. And it’s been pretty good.

I know that things would have been more difficult if the weather hadn’t been so great, yet there have been mornings when it’s been raining, and I’ve still managed to get out of bed. Leaving the gadgets at home has speeded my getting out of the house.I find that I don’t miss the music, and to be honest, it was becoming an extra chore to find something I actually felt comfortable running to. Those ten to twenty minutes each morning, are a good time for me to ponder on what lies ahead for me that day. It’s probably as close to meditation as I’m ever going to get.

If I continue this until Tuesday, that’s a whole month I’ve been doing this. I’d wish myself luck, but right now, I don’t feel I need to. I know that I can keep this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment